The Hidden water of a product is Beyond our imagination
“Virtual water” . Most of us not aware about this or might have seen in TV documentary only. Virtual water or hidden water” is about water that is used for our daily lives for the production of goods (meat, veggies, leather) and various services.
However the water used for a product is vary depends on the climate and the agricultural strategies used by the countries
The Food products & its Water consumption:
Our daily usage of food stuffs and their water consumption is given below,
Water consumption (Litres)
1 @ 250g
1 x 250ml glass
1 x 250ml glass
1 x 250ml glass
1 x 250 ml cup
Virtual Water on foods
However, in countries , where a most of people are vegetarians , the water footprint is very much lower. Top five biggest average daily users of water are the United States of America., Australia, Japan, Italy and Mexico – all five of these countries use more over 300 liters per day .
The countries in which the water poverty is the most worst and water usage is the lower are Mozambique, Rwanda, Haiti, Ethiopia, and Uganda – these five countries are using 15 liters or less per day .”
The Industrial products & Water consumption
The daily using products including dress to electronics items are consuming lot of water , which we won’t imagine
Importance of water management:
The planet earth does not have a substitute for water unlike the oil sources . Less than 1 % of fresh water only accessible for human consumption .if present situation continues , the world will face more water stressed areas , already United Kingdom has witnessed some areas with water stress
Please think about how much we all rely on water.. We have to monitor and control the use of our water; we have to use every drop most efficiently. Is there any other alternative way ! definitely not
How to preserve the water
Water is hidden in all that we use see in the daily life , in our cars, our clothes, and in our bread & sandwiches. However we all can significantly and easily limit our water footprints.
· Buy water efficient white goods
· Turn off the tap while we brush our teeth
· Fix leaks
· Limit the further pollution of water
As a Human being in this modern world , we can not always reduce our water consumption in some extent . but we can follow below steps ,
Use maximum extent of a product till it can be used or reuse for other purpose
· A faded or torn T shirt/clothes can be used for other household uses like wiping rather than throwing away it
· A malfunctioned or minor damaged electronic items can be repaired at least once ,instead of replacing it with a new devices. It saves our money also
· Food waste can be controlled by each individual’s habit of non-spilling them or ordering food stuffs in a small quantity as per the need & appetite, instead of wasting a part of a big meal.
· Food waste of hotel and restaurants can be organized and distributed to the needed people
· Separate recyclable and non-recyclable items in garbage to ease the recycle process
Water management plant
Sustainable water use begins in the home and at work. We cannot expect to resolve international water scarcity issues unless we first address these same issues at home. We do waste a lot of water every day.
Yet if everyone made a few small changes in their habits and buying habits, then It is possible to save millions of gallons / liters of water each day.
“Be Aware of virtual water and Spread the information to all and have a healthier life .”